$52 MILLION FOR CAPITAL
IMPROVEMENTS ON KAUAI
Funding Includes Money for Significant Highway Improvements
Kauai legislators secured $51,884,000 in Capital Improvement Project (CIP) funding for various projects across the island. The largest amount of funding was provided for a significant amount of highway improvements throughout Kauai. These roadway improvements will address aging infrastructure, improve existing operations, establish additional safety measures, and mitigate the effects of traffic constrictions.
Here are the highlights of the CIP funding for Kauai:
• $27.5 million for the rehabilitation or replacement of Hanapepe River Bridge along Kaumualii Highway.
• $5.9 million for construction of various improvements to existing intersections and highway facilities to
improve traffic operations.
• $2.4 million to stabilize sloping conditions at Lumahai Hillside.
• $1.2 million for the rehabilitation or replacement of Kapaia Stream Bridge along Kuhio Highway.
• $790,000 for the rehabilitation or replacement of Bridge No. 7E along Kaumualii Highway.
• $670,000 for the rehabilitation or replacement of Wainiha Bridges No. 1, 2, and 3 along Kuhio
• $560,000 for Mailihuna Road intersection safety improvements and the rehabilitation of Kapaa Stream
Bridge along Kuhio Highway.
• $347,000 for various guardrail and shoulder lane improvements throughout the island’s highways.
• $254,000 for the improvement of Kapule Highway, Rice Street and Waapa Road; and the
strengthening/widening of Nawiliwili Bridge.
Kilauea Elementary School
• $1.5 million for the renovation of Building B for administrative services.
• $1.3 million for the upgrade and installation of waterlines for fire protection sprinklers.
• $1 million for the improvements to the upper and lower Aahoaka Reservoirs.
• $200,000 for the design and construction of a new water source and connection pipeline for the
Kekaha Water System.
• $2.7 million for improvements to the Camp 10 access bridges connecting Kokee State Park to the Na
Pali Kona Forest Reserve.
• $2.5 million in matching state funds for the construction of improvements at the Federal Kikiaola Small
• $1 million for the repair and reinforcement of the Hanalei River breach.
• $1 million for the resurfacing of the Mana Drag Racing Strip.
In addition to CIP projects there were several Grants In Aid funding awarded to Kauai organizations:
• $200,000 to the Waipa Foundation for the construction of the Waipa Kitchen, Poi Mill, and Hale Imu.
• $60,000 to Hui O’laka for renovations to Civilian Conservation Corps camp and Kokee State Park.
• $400,000 to the Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA) for the expansion and renovation of
a new women’s center.
• $10,000 to the West Kauai Business & Professional Association to support the efforts of maintaining
the Russian Fort Elisabeth in Waimea.
• $435,000 to Hale ‘Opio for the installation of energy improvements to the facility including a
Representative Derek Kawakami (Hanalei, Princeville, Kilauea, Anahola, Kapaa, Wailua)
Representative James Tokioka (Wailua Homesteads, Hanamaulu, Lihue, Puhi, Old Koloa Town)
Representative Dee Morikawa (Niihau, Lehua, Waimea, Koloa)