Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Brower gets down

Each year, toward the end of session, Representative Tom Brower gives a colorful invocation in the form of an original rap on the House floor.

His rhymes last year included the "...House Blog, Coqui Frogs, Menopause, Hilo Vog, Drug sniffing dog..." and other notable words and phrases memorializing the 2009 Legislative Session.

Today, he started with a nod to the musical talents of another lawmaker before sharing a rap that highlighted several legislative, government and state issues.

"The Minority Leader isn’t the only one in this Chamber who knows how to sing. This is a song I wrote, entitled It’s Going Down," he began.

Watch the full performance on YouTube and read the lyrics below.

Don’t let civil rights… lose in a good fight
Dems need to stand up… roll call abandoned

We need to try harder…
To take people farther…

So… will… you…

Meet me in the caucus… It’s going down
Meet me in the Speaker’s office…. It’s going down
Meet me wit da dissidents… It’s going down

Anywhere a legislator… Stand up for the under-rated

Bills and Resos… Committee room schedules
Government taxes… Bruddah no can handle

Let’s get together… to do something better

So… will… you…

Meet me in the Chamber… It’s going down
Meet me at the Snack shop… It’s going down
Meet me in the elevator… It’s going down

Wherever there’s injustice… ya know I’ll be found

When it comes to makin’ good…
You know I’m around…

Cause when the doo-doo hits the fan -
It’s time to get down

So meet me on the 5th floor… It’s going down
Meet me at my back door… It’s going down
Meet Me at my Mama’s House… It’s going down
Meet me on da Superferry… It’s going down
Meet me on da Facebook… It’s going down

At Kyle’s Gas Station… It’s going down
At Isaac’s Tax Service… It’s going down
On Jerry’s Motorcycle… It’s going down
With Karl’s Briefcase… It’s going down
Donated Kidneys… It’s going down

Providing leadership… Influence to represent
Strength to do right… Fight the Good Fight
Challenge the population…
Respecting God’s creation…
Loving those around…

Cause it’s time to get down!

Mahalo.