Monday, December 3, 2007

The House is looking for foreign language interpreters

Pursuant to Chapter 371-33 HRS, the House of Representatives provides foreign language interpreters at no charge as a means to provide meaningful access to services for residents who have limited English language skills. This is particularly important in the legislative hearings during session. As you can imagine, some languages are easier to accommodate than others, such as Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. There is a great need to develop a deeper pool in some of the other languages. The following is a list of foreign languages for which the House needs interpreters. If you are qualified and interested in working on contract with the House in this capacity, please contact the House Chief Clerk's Office at 586-6400.

Burmese, Chinese, Chuukese, Ilocano, Japanese, Korean, Lao, Marshallese, Samoan, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Vietnamese, Visayan.


The Senate Site said...

I can help interpret body language and Cantonese. Let me know.


Pat McManaman said...

Thank you for affording limited English proficient persons access to the legislative process and for your leadership on this issue.

Mahalo nui loa,
Pat McManaman
Na Loio - Immigrant Rights & Public Interest Legal Center

Kim Fassler said...

Why didn't they tell me this when I was there?! I can do Mandarin translations. Sort of.

intake said...

Kim Fassler,
If you are interested, we would like to keep your name and type of translation on file. Please e-mail your information and contact number to:
Thank you.