$294 MILLION FOR CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS ON MAUI
Funding Includes Monies for Kihei High School and Kahului Airport
Honolulu, Hawaii – Maui legislators secured almost $300 million in Capital Improvement Project (CIP) funding for various projects across the island. The largest single item by far was $130 million over the next two years for construction of the new Kihei High School. Construction is expected to begin in 2015, and the full funding will allow bidding on the whole project, saving the State millions of dollars.
$60 Million has also been appropriated for land acquisition and construction of a new access road from Kahului Airport to Hana Highway.
Here are the highlights of the CIP funding secured for the Maui districts:
Lipoa Point Land Acquisition
- $20 million for the acquisition of land parcels at Lipoa Point, the purchase will preserve the land for future generations.
Hoapili Hale Courthouse
- $2.775 million for the design and construction of exterior improvements, exhaust monitoring, and ventilation systems upgrades.
Upcountry Maui Watershed Project
- $9 million for the design and construction of a new pipeline system for upcountry Maui watershed.
Upcountry Maui Agricultural Park
- $8 million for the acquisition of land, and design and construction of a state agricultural park in upcountry Maui.
- $50 million for the acquisition of land near the airport for development
- $10 million for the construction of a new access road to the airport from Hana Highway
- $6 million for the planning, design, and construction of capital improvements that will provide for safer and more efficient use of operational areas at Kahului Harbor
- $20 million for the planning, design, and construction of capital improvements that will develop infrastructure and expand operational areas at Hana Harbor.
- $3 million for the construction of shoreline improvements including shoreline erosion mitigation and roadway work along Honoapiilani Highway.
- $5.463 million for the rehabilitation or replacement of Honolua Bridge along Honoapiilani Highway.
- $3.6 million for the acquisition of land to develop a new two-lane highway from Kihei to Upcountry Maui.
- $6.744 million for various improvements along Hana Highway
Haiku Elementary School
- $700,000 for the design and construction of two portable classrooms
Kihei High School
- $130 million for the design and construction of a new high school in Kihei
King Kekaulike High School
- $14 million for the construction of a new auditorium
Lahaina Intermediate School
- $75,000 for various pedestrian safety improvements
Nahienanea Elementary School
- $75,000 for the design and construction of pedestrian safety improvements
Central Maui Region Sports Complex
- $4.7 million for the design and construction of a regional park in central Maui
In addition to CIP projects there were several Grants In Aid awarded to Maui organizations:
- $950,000 to Easter Seals Maui for the construction of phase 2 of the Maui Campus for Disability Services
- $500,000 to Maui Economic Opportunity Inc (MEO) for the construction of various facilities at the MEO Transportation Center site.
- $210,000 to Hale Mahaolu to cover operating costs for the Hale Mahaolu Personal Care Program in Kahului.