Here's some interesting items on the matter from Linda Chiem's PBN story, 11/16 issue:
- The Department of Health spent $340,000 on its public awareness campaign.
- Littering has become a problem because smokers who are standing 20 ft. away from a building don't have ashtrays to use.
- Compliance has been good, and in most cases, the law did not significantly change the way a business was doing business.
- The hardest hit businesses, of course, are the bars. The Hawaii Bar Association filed a lawsuit earlier this year, but the lawsuit was dismissed in Circuit Court.
- The Department of Health has still not approved rules giving it the authority to cite and fine violators. The DOH received 523 complaints and issued 396 notices of violation and letters of warning.