Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Rep Brower wants to find and return your money

KITV reporter Mahealani Richardson's mom received a letter from Rep. Tom Brower notifying Mrs. Richardson that she had $120 of unclaimed money. That led to a news story on KITV last night on Rep. Brower's efforts to find money or property owed to taxpayers and make sure they get it back. Some amounts are as high as $21,000. Money found may be from an old tax return or a state deposit that was never returned.

Photo: Tom tells a Honolulu woman that she is owed $17,000 from the unclaimed property program.

The "Unclaimed Property Project" uses data from the state's unclaimed property program.

Here's some information on how to check to see if you are owed money:

Go to and click on the Unclaimed Property link.

Enter your name to fill out an on-line claim form. If you see that money is owed to you, contact the Unclaimed Property Program in one of the following ways:

  • Call 586-1589 on Oahu, 974-4000 on Hawaii, 274-3141 on Kauai, or 984-2400 on Maui.
  • Email your inquiry to
  • Visit or write to #1 Capitol District Building, 250 S. Hotel Street, Room 304, Honolulu, HI 96813.
All claims must be verified by and collected through the Department of Budget and Finance.

If you need help, or if you want to let him know how your claim went, email Rep. Tom Brower at or call him at 398-5653.

No comments: